Saturday 4 April 2009

My favorite sport

I am not the most sportive type. Not because I do not want to, just because I cannot do it anymore.

My favorite sport used to be skateboarding. I started rollerblading when I was about 11 years old. A indoor skatepark had just opened in my town and after a few times I went their every week. I did this until I broke my arm while airing three meters above the ramp. I lost control and fell down. That was the end of my rollerblading. I did not do any sport for two years but than at the age of fourteen it started itching again so I bought myself a skateboard and started fooling around a bit. We became better and better and the summers where awesome. Wake up, take my skateboard and hang out somewhere on the streets, annoying people with our tricks. Off course skateboarding is a very dangerous sport, every day we came back with bruises and scratches from falling down and such.

After two or nearly three years of skateboarding, my knees started hurting. I could not take the stairs anymore, If I sat down on the floor I could not get up again, if I bent through my knees, I just fell down on the floor, if I ran it hurted, if I jumped it hurted. So I thought I would better go to see a doctor.
I went to the hospital and he said that I had the knees of a 70 year old. He asked my if I did some sports, I told him I did skateboarding and he reacted in a way like "that explains it all". the problem was that all my cartilage between the bones of my knees was gone and I had numerous cracks in my joints. I had to take pills for 70 year olds for six months. I was forbidden to take the stairs, run, duck, jump or ride my bicycle.

So that was the end of my skateboarding fun :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment